Thursday, October 15, 2015

Alternative Liquids Soap Challenge

Alternative Liquids Soap Challenge



This month's challenge was to replace the liquid in cold process soap with another liquid by 100%. I have used 100% goat's milk liquid in my soap with great success so I wanted to experiment with something different. I searched the local produce aisle and found this amazing, beautiful, red fruit, the pomegranate. 





This fruit has the most wonderful skin benefits such as:

 1. Cell Regeneration
 2. Sun Protection
 3. Anti-Aging
 4. Youthful Skin
 5. Dry Skin
 6. Oily Skin/Combination Skin

You can read more about each of these topics here.(1)


After peeling and extracting the little arils from the fruit, I crushed them to release the juice.  I then strained them through a cheese cloth, ending with a beautiful red juice.

I made a tea with the juice and placed it in the freezer.



After adding the lye to my frozen pomegranate tea it immediately turned a sickening brown color.


I was hoping that this black cacoon would morph into a colorful red soap, however, it was not to be.  






My soap ingredients: 
Pomegranate tea
Olive Oil
Palm Oil
Coconut Oil
Rice Bran Oil
Beet Root Powder
Kaolin Clay
Orange Valencia 5X, Patchouli Blend Essential Oils

My conclusion is that the pomegranate juice is much better utilized as an oil. This site (2)
explains the benefits of using the juice or oil directly on the skin. I could not find any proof that the pomegranate tea benefits survived the cold soap process so my pomegranate soap is strictly for label appeal.











Creating a leave on product with pomegranate oil would be amazing!
Can you imagine a product that prevents skin cancer, or helps protect against aging?

Although disappointed in my creation, this was a great learning experience! I only wish I   had more time to try another liquid.

Thanks for reading about my pomegranate soap.

Marlene

Credits: 

1. Summers,G. "The Skin Care Benefits of Pomegranates, A Healing Ingredient for  Skin of Color."                                             http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com/od/Skincare/a/The-Skin-Care-Benefits-Of-                                                  Pomegranates.htm                        

2. Palmer, A. "7 Ways to Use Pomegranates on Your Skin."
                       http://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyle/how-use-pomegranates-on-your-skin/







9 comments:

  1. This is great, Marlene!! I still think pomegranate was an excellent choice, and I'm sure the soap will feel wonderful on your skin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing color transformations! It really turned out beautiful in its simplicity. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi for reading about my experiment.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your explanation. I've wondered about beet root powder but haven't tried it yet. I bet this smells wonderful and has a good scrubby texture for a gardeners soap maybe. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva, the soap smells wonderful, it is very smooth and lathers well. I think my photo is deceiving, there is no texture, although it looks like there might be.

      Delete
  5. I don't think you will be disappointed when you try it, Marlene! And at least in my computer it doesn't look "sickening brown", but rather a quite nice maroon colour with a definite red hue.

    ReplyDelete